Elsewhere, elsewhen
A friend I used to work with told me that the most important thing he learned from studying Buddhism was the philosophy "be here now": being mindful of the moment without getting caught up in the past, the future, or being somewhere you're not. If that's true, I would make a lousy Buddhist.
The last few days in particular I've felt more like Billy Pilgrim, bouncing back and forth in a strange kind of bored restlessness. Can you develop ADD at age 39?
Speaking of past and future, I found a cool online toy at the University of St. Andrews Perception Lab: the Face Transformer. From a single passport-style photo, it creates different versions of you, changing ages, ethnicity, and even rendering you in the style of different artists. If the "old" photo of me is any indication, I'd better use some of this restless energy to go to the pharmacy for some anti-wrinkle cream.
1 Comments:
Jesus! That's unnerving, Greg.
You've been doing the Billy Pilgrim thing too? Over the last year, I've been having bizarre flashbacks out of nowhere. I'm superstitious, so I've taken it to mean it's my life flashing before my eyes in slow motion and one day soon, I'll kick the bucket.
Dad tells me it's just age.
Post a Comment
<< Home